Monday 26 May 2014

You Want Me To WHAT?!?!

When my partner and I first started dating, she asked me if I would go to the doctor and get an STI panel done. I was quite taken aback! I was also hurt and angry that she may not trust me. I didn't speak to her for four days.
I realized during these lonely four days that she wasn't asking me to do this to hurt me or make me mad. She was asking me to do this for my health as well as hers.
It was probably one of the smartest things she's ever asked me to do. I, in turn asked her to get tested as well. She took my request with poise... and a giggle. (Boy didn't I feel silly!)
We went to the doctor together, went in holding hands and asked to get tested. We took turns holding hands as the blood was drawn and it turned out to be the most liberating blood test of my life!
While we waited for the test results to come in, we spent a lot of time talking about what we wanted in our lives. We talked about everything from how we prefer to clean our houses to how we take care of our personal hygiene. 
The night that the results came in, the bedroom became a rather raucous place. For the first time in my life I could enjoy making love, without those little fears niggling at the back of my mind. 
As I lay beside her after round two, I asked myself why I had never done this before.
The moral?
Do your future partner and yourself a favor. Ask them to get tested. If they aren't willing, they aren't worth it. (But don't forget to give them a little bit of time to process your request before deciding this.)

No comments:

Post a Comment